Sunday, July 3, 2011

4 hours 37 minutes 6 seconds

I went on a 17 mile training walk today. 17.32 miles to be exact; you know how I am able getting full credit.

It is part of the training for the Susan G. Komen 3 Day for the Cure. I don't follow the documented training schedule for a walker.  With 7 weeks until the event, I am feeling pretty good and quite strong.


Geared up and NOT ready to go.

My legs felt fine after the bike ride yesterday.  I lamented  complained whined to Ben that it was not the distance I was concerned with; it is just so boring!

I headed out determined to make the best of it.


Packed and on my way!

What's in the pack you ask?

A large bottle of water, my garage door opener, sunscreen, chapstick, a peeled orange, a banana, 2 cheese sticks, a granola bar, some spare change and a whole lot of belief in myself.

That's right.  Sometimes you have to pack a belief in yourself  in your bag and take it with you.  At the very least, keep it in your heart.

To keep myself entertained, I watched my Garmin, and watched the miles pass.  Kind of like watching paint dry, you know?  I challenged myself to not let my pace decrease as I went up inclines, and marveled at, how after I refueled, I was able to pick up the pace.

I watched as cyclists sped past me, and families all set out.  I chatted with a little girl as she told me she and her grandpa were racing me. (They won the race.)

After 12.4 miles were done, I headed into Pit Stop 3.  I have various gas station/convenience stores along the way that I stop, grab some water, pee, and text Ben to keep him posted of my progress.

In this particular store, the clerk asked me "Getting in a good workout today?"

"I am training for The 3 Day" I explained.  "I am doing 17 miles today and I have 5.8 to go."

"Good luck with that!" she said, rolling her eyes. "I could never do that."

"Sure you could!" I replied.  I paid for my water, and left.

I took my belief out of my bag, looked at it  for a bit and I held it tight.  The next 5.8 miles flew by.

I thought about this girl, and the truth is, she couldn't do what I was doing at this moment in time.  She didn't believe in herself enough.  She will never be able to accomplish this, or any task she sees as a lofty goal, until she is convinced she can do it.

I thought about things in my own past that had held me back.  The doubts, the negative self talk that has seemed to disappear over the last few years.  

Over 7 years ago, I believed I could be healthy.  I had gastric bypass surgery as my first step/last attempt to make it happen.  I had to believe that it was going to work.  More importantly, I had to believe that I was going to make it work.

5 years ago I finally believed I deserved happiness.  I had to make some extremely painful decisions and choices to make it happen.  Today, I am happier than I ever dreamt possible.

5 years ago I heard a radio ad for the 3 Day Walk and thought "I can do that."  I made it happen.

The very moment you say I cannot do that is like a nail in a coffin.  You are burying a belief in yourself that would otherwise allow you to make it happen.

As I continued to walk, I thought about the power of daydreaming.  Someone very close and wise to me told me yesterday to daydream.  This person has never given me bad advice yet, so I took some time to daydream today.  After all, what is a daydream but perhaps the first step in believing that something truly CAN happen?

Here is what I thought about the rest of my walk.

I believe Karyn, Lynn and I will have a radio show.  We even have a name ready to go.  We just need to get the pieces of the puzzle together to make this happen.  These ladies have an energy that is contagious; I have been so fortunate to be able to meet them.  If you have met them virtually before, you know what I am talking about.  Now take that energy and multiply it.  In person, their health, confidence, energy and a belief in themselves makes them glow.  I believe the 3 of us can make others laugh, can share some thoughts about balance, and can have a ball doing it.  (There ladies - it is in print.  Let's get that skype call going!)

I believe that food is fuel.  I believe it is up to me, or an army of mes, to get this message out there.  You need to fuel your body with the best quality fuel available.  I believe that fresh, minimally processed is best.  That being said, I also believe in your right to choose to eat what you want.  I credit my granola bars today for kicking my butt into a higher gear around miles 10-13!  I will use the Nutrimirror column, this blog, the radio show and whatever media necessary to get this message out there.  Food is not your enemy.  Not believing in YOU is an enemy of your success.

I believe I can make a better, tastier granola bar than the processed one I had today.  Experimentation and details of success/failure coming soon!  

I believe in you.  I think more than anything sometimes others just need to hear it over and over, before they believe it themselves.  It took me a long time to believe in myself; others took the time and effort to believe in me, and now it is my turn to Pay it Forward.

It amazes me how after a long workout, such as yesterday's ride or the walk today, I have thoughts that NEED to come out.  It is obvious that I do a lot of thinking when I have no one to talk to for long periods of time!

By the way, dinner is cooking as we speak.  It was so nice to smell the aroma when I walked into the kitchen after my walk.  Will be back later to share details of what I planned to eat knowing I would have the calories for it!

Hope you are enjoying a wonderful Sunday!

Kel





3 comments:

  1. Kel you are putting out some powerful energy, my friend. I believe, too, and can't wait to get the ball rolling on...(what name did we pick, again? LOL) You make me want to be the best I can be, because I see you (and Lynn) doing that every day. Thank you Universe for putting these incredible friends in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowsa's kiddo you are an inspiration!!
    I love walking but I'm waiting for my ankle to do the long walks :) I did sign up for a 5K race at the end of September.
    Can't wait to hear you guys on the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my inspiration! I want to be like you when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete