Sunday, July 3, 2011

How to Use Up a Lot of Calories!

Thought I forgot about you, didn't you?

Nope, just had some errands to run after my walk this afternoon.  I also started my cupcakes that I am bringing to a barbecue tomorrow.  Didn't sit down to dinner til much later than usual.

If you ask me how many calories are in this dinner, I don't know if I will be able to answer that.  Sure, I logged it, but I may be WAY off on the pork rib recipe!  I am normally good at getting the recipe together, but this time the selection of which country pork rib to pick threw me off and as to how much.  I know uncooked it was 2.75 pounds of ribs, but that included the bones and the fat.  Anyways, these ribs could be anywhere from 300 calories to 500 calories.  Regardless, they were delicious!

Earlier this year, I knew I wanted to make country pork ribs for Superbowl Sunday.  I scoured the internet and landed on this recipe.  They are so easy!  You toss everything in the crockpot and you are done!  Whether for a cold January night or a steamy July day, they are terrific.  Note on the recipe - use a LOT more liquid and seasonings than called for.  I think I triple it.  You will still think you don't have enough but the, um, pork fat tends to do a little basting of its own!


I forced TJ to eat outside just so I could take the picture with outdoor lighting!

I wish I could tell you that the ribs stole the show, or that my sauteed greens from my CSA box this week were the hit, but that would be a lie.  The show-stealer?  The darned boxed cornbread from Costco!


There are real corn kernels in there!

I have a corn bread recipe I really enjoy, but have to tell you  - this is amazing.  Moist, flavorful, and this time I made it with buttermilk instead of plain milk.  Heaven.  210 calories of processed food, but still good.  Not something I eat every day or even once a month. I will stop defending myself if you will quit judging me.  It is good stuff!

The greens - sauteed in a little olive oil with some red pepper flakes and a squeeze of lemon at the end.

Beer by Surly - a local brewing company.  

The way to wrap up a busy, active day!

Kitchen is a mess,  laundry needs to be folded, but I still have half a beer left.

I think I will sit back and r e l a x.  

Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment