Saturday, February 5, 2011

That Scale

I had a physical for life insurance purposes yesterday.

Blood pressure 110/68.
Pulse - 49.
Weight - ?

I had not even seen her take the scale out; she had come to my house for the physical.  She wheeled her bag of goodies in and somehow snuck the scale out without me seeing.  She did the questionnaire, had me pee in a cup, took a few vials of blood and then asked me to step on the scale.

Really? But don't you know what I am trying to do?

Now, she is here to take measurements for life insurance, not to see if I am sane.  Thoughts race through my head; do I tell her what I am trying to do here?  Or will I sound nuts?

Promise me you won't tell me the number  I say before I will step on the scale.  I am not weighing myself for a year.


She showed no signs of thinking that I was nuts.  Either that or perhaps she laughed when I was on the scale and my eyes were closed.

Thank goodness it was not a talking scale!

She handed me my paperwork and assured me that she had not written my weight down on my copy of the paperwork.  Nice!

I imagine there will be more moments like this in my future.  This one was pretty easy as I could not have read the scale had I wanted to.  It was an old fashioned dial one and I have a hard time reading those little lines.

A trip to the doctor's office will be more challenging; I will just step on backwards.  Maybe I should make business cards; my name, phone number, and the blog address should anyone have concerns.
Go here, you can read what I am trying to do.

I remind myself what it is I am trying to accomplish.  I have been working out a few times a week, I have been eating to meet the nutritional needs of my body, and am making sure I don't feel hungry or deprived.  I can look in the mirror and see progress.  I do not need to see the progress on the scale.

Let's face it, and I articulated the same to Ben last night..  I am still at a point where even though I can look in the mirror and be really happy with what I am seeing, if I were to step on the scale and see that I had gained weight I would be a wreck.  I know for a fact I have been adding muscle.  I can see it in my legs, my arms, and even in this loose skin covered abdomen.  A pound of muscle replaces a pound of fat and the scale stays the same.  You ADD more muscle than the fat pounds lost and the scale can go up.  For me, that would be enough to cause me to course correct, and change my diet.  That would end up being a mistake!   More muscle means your body is burning more calories at rest.  I need the fuel for my body and I am getting to the point where I am listening to it instead of looking at calorie counts on my food log.

Never a never again; constantly a work in progress!

Have a great Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment