Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Compromise

I didn't go to the gym today.

Here is why:

When you live in Minnesota, you live for days like this.  Well, at least I do.  It was warm enough to take a run outside, rather than heading to the gym.  I do like to get as much natural sunlight as possible, and this was a great day to do it.  

Did you know that they sunny days are the colder days?  Yep, random fact for you.

We set out running on a new path that Ben discovered.  It was discovered somewhat out of desperation; heavy snowfall in recent weeks caused our favorite trail to be snowed-in.  Apparently this one is maintained by someone else, and was plowed.  It is a 1.4 mile loop.

Here is where my brain starts to work overtime.  Run 1.4/2.8/4.2?  See how you feel after 1.4, after the 2.8, etc.  There is way too much chatter in my head when I run.  Even The Black-Eyed Peas can't shut it up.

It is a nice hilly path, with no hill being too steep, but enough to get my heart rate up.  Just cardio for me as a workout is not enough.  I have gotten fit enough that a run doesn't burn a ton of calories.  I need something to affect the intensity of the run; I need to have hills, increase my speed, perform some intervals, something rather than just running along at an even pace.

1.4 miles down.  Way too early to stop. 

The second lap was okay, but I really wanted to start walking.  I walked a few hundred feet, then started running again.

2.8 miles down.  Now what.  I want to stop.   No, you don't want to stop.  You feel fine. Push yourself.

So I didn't stop.  I did, however, stop running.  I figured I am out here, I am still moving.  This is progress.

4.2 miles done, 507 calories burned, and I feel good.

The chili has been started, as well as some chocolate chip crack cookies.  You will see them later!

No comments:

Post a Comment