Sunday, January 2, 2011

A Fun Day!

It is so nice to just have FUN!

Today was planned for a while.  My kids, Alex and TJ, are headed back to their Dad's tomorrow.  We started a tradition 3 years ago that we go tubing over Christmas break.  Today was the day!

Dec. 31 was supposed to be the day, but it was rainy and miserable here.  I am not one to embrace the cold weather activities as it is, so I would not have enjoyed it raining too!

We were to meet friends, but the frigid temps kept them indoors bowling while we headed out.  We let Erika, Dave, Chris and Gretchen know that they missed a great time!

It was sunny, and the winter sun in Minnesota means cold!  It ended up being a balmy 17 degrees, which is quite pleasant when you wear:

  • Long underwear
  • Capri exercise pants
  • Stretchy yoga pants
  • Snow pants
  • 2 long sleeve tshirts
  • 1 short sleeve tshirt
  • 1 Columbia Fleece top
  • A big puffy Lands End down coat
  • Scarf
  • Balaclava (which I affectionately refer to as a baklava)
  • Socks and Boots
  • A Great Big Smile!
A self-portrait of us!

We were tubing for 2 hours, and had a lot of fast runs!  We link all of our tubes together and Ben gets a running start then we go flying down the hill.  We took out a lot of unsuspecting people who were standing obliviously at the bottom of the hill.  Note to these people - get out of the way!  There is no way to steer, and in order to stop we would have had to throw ourselves out of our tubes.  Not going to happen and my apologies!

I did not go sledding or tubing for many years after I had a sledding accident as a 7 year old.  An icy hill and a plastic sled added up to 12 stitches.  You can see one of the scars next to my eye in the picture above.  

When I was heavy, I didn't go because...well, I am not sure why.  I guess I just observed other people having fun; I sat on the sidelines.  It is nice to be able to just go out, laugh, scream, and have fun!

I hope everyone had a great Sunday!  One more day of vacation for me, then back to work on Tuesday. Ugh.  Yeah!

By the way, I told Gretchen and Erika about the blog today.  You will meet them soon!  When I told them about not weighing myself for a year, I am fairly certain they wanted to have a random drug test performed on me.  

Talk to ya later!
Kel


No comments:

Post a Comment