Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Workout Inspiring Breakfast

Sometimes you need a little high calorie, perhaps too little fiber breakfast to get you motivated.

After recording my 689 calorie breakfast today, I know I am well fueled for a workout!

I am not sure if I want to head out to the gym or bundle up and just walk outside.  I am a little scared of this:


It's not the cold; it's the wind that scares me!


I know, not much colder than when I headed out last week.  I have enough layers, I just need to do it!

I am really trying to approach exercise in a way that it is just something that is done, not just something to be able to eat more.  But today's breakfast?  I kind of feel like I need to earn it!

The menu for today:
Buttermilk pancakes with granola (can't forget the butter and syrup!)
Mmmm bacon
Grapefruit
Coffee

Here is the recipe for the pancakes.  Everyone tells you their buttermilk pancake recipe is the best.   I won't flatter myself that much.  We do love it, however.  For the granola recipe, you will have to visit my friend Karyn over at SerenitySwamp.  I make a batch of her granola every week!

Buttermilk Pancakes
Fine Cooking Magazine, Dec 09


Ingredients:
3 Tbsp unsalted butter
9 oz (2 cups) flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tea baking soda
1/2 tea kosher salt
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs

1. Melt the butter.  (Don't you love when the recipe tells you how to melt  butter?  I will give you enough credit to assume that you won't try to melt on a bunsen burner or with a lighter.) Set aside to cool briefly.

2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda,  and salt.  In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk and eggs.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.  Whisk gently until the dry ingredients are almost incorporated; stop before the batter is evenly moistened.  Add the cooled melted butter and mix just until the batter is evenly moistened (there will be lumps).  Let the batter rest while you heat the griddle.

3. I am not going to tell you how to cook your pancakes.  If you have gotten this far, I am again going to assume you know how to cook.  I will tell you that if you want to add something, when you first pour the pancake batter onto your griddle, this is the time to add it.


The Russian judge won't be giving me any points for perfectly round pancakes today.



These pancakes were part of this complete breakfast.  (Had to sound like a Kelloggs ad.  Couldn't resist.)


Prior to the butter and syrup appearing on the scene.  


Ben sections the grapefruit and removes all the pith.  Love that guy!


Later today, I will be sharing what I decided to make for meals for the upcoming week. I loved having it all planned out last week, so I am doing it again.  I have decided that what I did last week, digging out an old magazine, is now called Magazine Roulette.  It needs to be a weekly feature, don't you think?

Oh, before I forget, here are the stats for the pancakes.  I will leave you with that!  See ya!

nutrition facts

1 comment:

  1. They look great! My pancakes are never round...thats only in the magazines.

    ReplyDelete