Sunday, January 16, 2011

Over-Achiever


I even managed a shower AND make up today!

Okay, one item left on the list!  I have a couple of hours left before bed, so I will definitely get a start on it.

Wait, I didn't finish my list, yet I am calling myself an over-achiever?  Heck yes I am.

I made pea soup today as well as everything else!

Friends had given me the ham bone from Christmas, and I had enough of moving it around in the refrigerator.  As long as I was chopping onions and celery for tomorrow's Clam Chowder, I might as well chop some for pea soup too!

I am feeling well prepared for meals this week.  Lunches are done.  There are enough leftovers from a soup I made yesterday, tonight's dinner and tomorrow's dinner, it will be a matter of packing them in my favorite to-go containers and heading out the door!  If you are like me, and need your morning coffee to do anything, prepacked lunches are key to a balanced life!

On to tonight's dinner.  I love this stuff!  Delicious, colorful, and nutritious.  Might as well add simple to the description as well.

Let's start with the stats.  These do not include the beans.

nutrition facts

Here is the recipe; I got this from the Rancho Gordo newsletter I receive on a monthly basis.

Recipe notes:  I used only 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1 tea kosher salt.  It was plenty!


Tomatoes and Fennel with White Beans
This is an easy to make dish, adapted from Bon Appetit magazine. The slow cook shows off both the tomatoes and the fennel at their best.
Prep 35 minutes
Total 1 hour 10 minutes
6 servings
2 large fennel bulbs with fronds attached
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, divided
2 pints grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
4 large fresh oregano sprigs
3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups cooked Runner Cannellini or Flageolet Beans

Preheat oven to 425 deg.F. Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1/2 cup. Trim fennel bulbs and cut in half vertically. Cut each bulb half into 1/2-inch-wide wedges, leaving some core attached to each wedge.
Heat oil in large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until very hot, about 3 minutes. Add fennel wedges in single layer; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coarse salt. Cook until fennel begins to brown and soften, turning occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and crushed red pepper; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon coarse salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Fold together gently.
Transfer skillet to oven. Bake fennel and tomatoes until soft, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. Mix in beans and 6 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds. Bake 5 minutes longer to heat through. Transfer mixture to large shallow bowl. Sprinkle with remaining chopped fronds. Serve warm or at room temperature.



The fennel getting browned.  A great way to guarantee your stove top is cleaned.  This spatters everywhere!


The tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper have been added.  Ready for the oven!


After about 20 minutes and a couple of stirs.  Smells so good!



Easy and delicious!

Think about serving this the next time you are having guests over for dinner.  Vegetarians?  No problem!

Now I wished I had added make cookies to my list today...

G'night!



2 comments:

  1. You did so much today, I'm impressed! I on the other hand stayed in bed again with this flu. I have to get up tomorrow or I will wilt away.If I had a list, that would be on it....DONT WILT AWAY FROM A STUPID FLU VIRUS!

    ReplyDelete