Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Gyro Verdict

Delicious and worth the effort.

What effort?

Note to self: read the directions ahead of time - a couple of times.  When I had read the recipe the first time, I thought, oh, I can do that Wednesday night.  Did I remember to do it Wednesday night?  Not from the looks of this.

Had I prepped the meat last night, and made the tatziki too, tonight's dinner would have been much easier for a weeknight.  I would not have been famished by the time dinner was ready, and probably would not have had the serving of chips while cooking.  No worries, all a part of a balanced day!

Anyways, here is a lousy picture of the gyros with the tatziki sauce:

 Honestly it tasted really good!

You have been so patient.  I reward your patience with the recipe.

Gyros with Tatziki Sauce from Clean Eating  Magazine, March/April 2010

1 tbsp fresh oregano leaves, finely chopped, or 1 tsp dried leaves
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp olive oil, divided
1 lb eye round beef steak, trimmed of visible fat and sliced into 4-4 oz lean beef tenderloins
olive oil cooking spray (optional)
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 medium sweet peppers (red, green, or combination)
4 whole-wheat pitas (6 1/2 inch diameter rounds)
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 cup tatziki (see below)

1. In a small bowl, mix together oregano, cumin, paprika, black pepper, garlic, lemon juice and 1 tsp oil.  Rub mixture onto steaks, place in a zip-top bag and let marinate for 30 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.

2. Preheat broiler to high.  Place steaks on a foil-lined baking sheet misted with cooking spray and broil for 7-10 minutes.  When done, remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes; slice thinly.  Intermittently fan the smoke detector if your smoke detector is sensitive like mine.

3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tsp olive oil in a small saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add onion and sweet peppers and cook until soft, about 7 to 10 minutes.  Set aside.

4. To assemble, cut pitas in half, open pocket and place 2 ounces steak, 1/2 cup sweet pepper-onion mixture and 1/2 cup tomatoes in each pita half.  Top with 2 tbsp tatziki.

I had purchased smaller pitas from Trader Joes.  Do not go smaller! It was hard to fit enough good stuff in these smaller ones!

nutrition facts


Tatziki (Cucumber Yogurt)

2 medium cucumber, peeled and seeded
2 cups nonfat plain greek-style yogurt
1 clove garlic, smashed
1 tbsp fresh dill, finely minced
1 tbsp fresh mint, finely minced
1/8 tea sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp red wine vinegar

Finely grate cucumbers and place in the center of a clean cloth dishtowel.  Gather up ends and twist to wring out liquid over sink or bowl.  Cucumbers will release about 2/3 cup liquid.

In a large bowl, gently fold cucumbers into yogurt.  Mix in remaining ingredients.  Chill for 1 hour (or say to heck with that, I am hungry!)


Dip will keep for 2 days in refrigerator.

nutrition facts

Delicious and nutritious.  That's how I roll!

G'night!

Kel



2 comments:

  1. The word GYRO just sent me to a spinning past. I can remember eating the ones that were the originals. Ya know, with beef, lamb, and pork all rolled up into a 3000 calorie meal. I loved them. I would go to the fair just to have them or to the mall when they served them there. Now, I wouldn't waste my time nor my taste buds when I can stuff a pita bread with so many healthier things and be just as satisfied. Kel, this recipe looks good, but there are I would have to cut the tomatoes and the yogurt. I told ya I was picky.

    ReplyDelete