Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sundays are for cooking

Perhaps it was my upbringing; there was generally football on the television (Mom, not Dad!), and there was something always bubbling away on the stove.  With a family of 8, Mom had to be creative and have enough to, well, feed a small army!

This chili recipe would be good for a tiny army.  The portion is a good bowlful, but just so you understand proportions, this bowl fits comfortably in my hand.  I realize that not everyone weighs their food out, but this was just under 9 ounces per serving.

nutrition facts



As the recipe states, this is the Best. Chili. Ever.  If you are a bean lover, this is not your chili.  It is, however, a wonderful chili full of tender beef.  Sometimes a girl has to have some beef!

This smelled so good all afternoon, bubbling away on the stove.

A couple of sides completed this dinner, and I have to tell you, I am stuffed!


There were cornbread muffins; I will admit, I cheated.  It was a box mix I got from Costco.  It is a great mix, with whole corn kernels running though it.  I enjoyed it sans butter.  

The other item almost  stole the show!  I had purchased a bag o' southern greens at Trader Joe's yesterday.  It was a mix of mustard greens, turnip greens, collards and spinach.  I chopped an onion and a clove of garlic.  I sauteed them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  After a few minutes, I added 2 cups of low sodium chicken stock.  After that started boiling, I added the bag o' greens.  It simmered for almost an hour.  (This is different than the directions on the bag, so I decided I would share my creation!)  I am excited we had leftovers because tomorrow for lunch I am going to add some cannellini beans.  It will be delicious!

nutrition facts

For dessert?  A lovely brew.  Fat Tire completed the meal, and the night!


Good night!  See you tomorrow!  Italian Shrimp Salad is on the menu!

No comments:

Post a Comment