Saturday, January 8, 2011

Plan B

Have you ever had a day where you woke up thinking about food?

Okay, let me rephrase that.  Have you ever had a day when you did not wake up thinking about food?

Today I not only was thinking about food, I knew what I wanted for breakfast and dinner.  No doubt.

Breakfast was easy.  Oatmeal.  Sometimes I burn myself out on it, and have to switch it up.  Today a bowl of oatmeal just worked.  Made with flax seed, and topped with Karyn's granola, almond butter and a few chocolate chunks.  Damn.  I forgot to log my chocolate chunks!  Be right back.

Okay, that 35 calories is now logged and accounted for!  In case you and I have not met, I log my food every day at Nutrimirror.  I am counting on accurate logging to make sure there are no surprises when I step on that scale January 1, 2012.

Besides having decided on breakfast, I knew that for dinner I wanted sardines and avocado.  Don't scrunch up your face like that!  Sardines are so good, not to mention being packed with calcium. If you look into buying them, make sure you get the kind with bones.  That's where the calcium is at, baby!

When you take a piece of crusty bread, heat it and toast it a bit, drizzle a smidgen of olive oil, smash avocado and sardines on top, and squeeze some fresh lemon juice, it is amazing.  Sardines are not to be feared!

I headed to the grocery store, as mentioned earlier, and got my ingredients.  My friend Karyn likes to take a picture of all of her ingredients, so I decided to do the same:


I used half of the baguette, then sliced it and tossed it in the 375 degree oven to get warm and toasty.

Then it happened.  I sliced my avocado in half, and...wait, I need a moment...it was rotten!  I am not someone that can handle any brown on my avocado, and this one was riddled with it!  It went straight into the garbage.  I cannot begin to describe my sorrow!

Move on to Plan B.

Make a sardine salad!

Here are my new ingredients, the bread being in the oven:


I chopped the carrots and celery, and tossed in a bowl.  I opened and drained the can of sardines.  They went in the bowl, and I hit it with a squeeze of half a lemon.

It needed something, a binder.  2 teaspoons of olive oil mayo came to the rescue.

While not the prettiest, it was tasty!  The grey color was, well, reality.  It is not just my picture!


I tried to get artsy with a white plate on a white plate.  Looking at it makes me a little dizzy at the moment!

Onto the bread with a drizzle of olive oil, and to feed my emotional loss of the avocado, I added some Trader Joe's Flax and Veggie tortilla chips to the party.


While not the plan, I was quite happy with the result.  It was loosely inspired by one I have seen by Kath.  Wow, she added beans to hers!  Darn it!  Why didn't I read that first?

Time for some hot tea and an orange!




2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled on your blog and love it! Love the creativity you threw into your food, i'm always a fan of mashing everything up and coming up with a new delish meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on having a plan B, Kel. Avocados are always a gamble around here; it's so depressing when they are overripe. I'm so happy you are posting pictures!

    ReplyDelete