Monday, January 10, 2011

Italian Shrimp Salad

As I mentioned on Saturday, I had planned my meals for the week.

Here is the Italian Shrimp Salad from Clean Eating Magazine March/April 2010.


It was very easy, basically just requiring the shrimp to be cooked.  I will list the recipe as is, and then the changes I made.  The nutritional statistics are based on the recipe, without the dressing, and with the changes I made.

Ingredients:
12 ounces fresh or frozen raw medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (If frozen, no need to thaw)
1/2 cup shelled fava beans ( I used frozen shelled edamame)
1 6-ounce jar artichoke hearts, quartered, drained and rinsed (I used frozen)
1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced (I sliced a piece, tried it and decided fennel is meant for me to enjoy it cooked! It got cut from the recipe!)
1/2 cup red grape tomatoes, halved
3 cups romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
1 recipe Honey & White Balsamic Vinaigrette (following, and NOT part of the nutritional stats)
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste (skipped it)
2 tbsp unsalted pine nuts (have you seen the price of pine nuts?  Skipped them)


Instructions:
1. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan (3-4 qt) over medium-high heat.  Add shrimp and cook for approx. 2 minutes, until shrimp turns pink. Remove shrimp from water with a slotted spoon and rinse in cold water, then set aside. (This step could easily have been done ahead of time, cutting prep time even more.)
2. Using the same boiling water, add beans and cook for 3 minutes.  Drain beans and rinse with cold water. (I did this with the edamame.)
3. In a large mixing bowl, place shrimp, beans, artichokes, green pepper, fennel (yuck), tomatoes and lettuce.  Add honey and white balsamic vinaigrette and season with salt and pepper, tossing gently to combine.  (I didn't add the salad to the whole thing, as I expect leftovers, and do not like salad with leftover dressing on it.)
4.  Divide among four plates and just before serving, top with 1/2 tbsp nuts.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  (Again, I skipped the pine nuts.)


Some nice salad stats!

nutrition facts


Now for your salad dressing!

Honey and White Balsamic Vinaigrette

2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp raw organic honey
1/4 tea mustard seeds, ground (I used the back of a spoon and crushed them!)
Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients.  Refrigerate until serving or use immediately.  Store in a sealed container in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Here are the stats, and I used balsamic vinegar from the database.  Close is indeed good enough!

nutrition facts

Pretty and nutritious!  Did I mention tasty?




For the record, this would make a great summer salad.  In the middle of a cold January?  Where are those chili leftovers?...


2 comments:

  1. Very pretty and it looks delicious. I love shrimp and just happen to have some in the freezer. Those stats are fantastic - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm. I may have to get some shrimp and fava beans before it snows.

    ReplyDelete