Saturday, January 8, 2011

Menu Planning

Saturday is generally my grocery shopping day.

I have found lately, that after I have come home and put away the groceries, there is nothing to eat. What I mean by this, is that I do a great job stocking the house with fruits and veggies, milk, yogurt, etc, but if I don't plan out some dinner ideas, we are left to fend for ourselves.  I manage to do okay at that with plenty of pantry items. This week I decided I am doing some planning.

As I sat cruising tastespotting, I realized that I have a ton of Clean Eating magazines in the magazine pile.  (The pile is, appropriately, stacked in the downstair's powder room.)  I decided I would reach in, take one out, and figure out my dinners for the week.  I pulled out March/April 2010.  I had to laugh that this is the one I retrieved. On the cover was the claim Melt Pounds without Trying. Last spring I was so upset about that claim, I sent a letter to the editor of Clean Eating.   I never heard back, they never posted it, but I felt better.  Every day it is about trying for goodness sakes.  Don't get me started.

Why am I telling you all about my meal planning?

Because my memory stinks.  Really.

I have made the grocery list, and would get home this time, and think what was I going to make with this again? So, since this is my blog I decided I might as well leverage it to help me with my memory. I will also be sharing these recipes with you this week here on The Kel Show. 


I am not planning what night to have these items, needing some spontaneity in my life.  That is a joke. I am a planner.  When I deviate it makes me anxious.  Freak, I know.

So, here's what's cooking this week on The Kel Show.   Don't look for recipe links today.  You will get the recipes when you get the post and pictures.  I will overcome my fear of food pictures darn it!

Sunday breakfast: Classic Baked Oatmeal.  This is a new recipe for me, and I got it off tastespotting.
Sunday Dinner: Best.Chili.Ever.  Hey, I may be making rather grand claims, but I am just using the description that the blogger used in describing her chili recipe.  I have to agree; it is good shite stuff.
I will serve that with cornbread and a simple salad.  There will be some leftover lunches there too!

Monday Dinner: Italian Shrimp Salad:  The salad is composed of shrimp, romaine lettuce, fennel, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and green peppers.  It also calls for fava beans but I am going to use edamame because I already have that.  One less purchase and using up what I have!  The dressing is a Honey and White Balsamic Vinaigrette.  Sounds great!

Tuesday: Leftover chili!

Wednesday: Ben works late on Wednesdays, so I will be dining solo.  For my solo dinners, I love a poached egg over wilted spinach on an english muffin.  Quick, easy, and delicious!

Thursday: Gyros with Tatziki Sauce.  No, I don't have any plans to roast lamb over an open fire all day, but I can cook the suggested steaks and slice thinly!  These are served in pitas with red and green peppers (think Vitamin C) and tomatoes, as well as some red onion.  Tatziki is a delicious dip made with greek yogurt and cucumber.  I may cut the recipe in half, or perhaps make enough for Friday lunches.

Friday night: Windy City Pie aka Deep Dish Pizza! A little beer will be on the menu that night as well!
This is a whole wheat pizza crust with turkey sausage and onions, peppers, and cheese.  I am getting hungry thinking about it!

I just told Ben that on Friday we are having pizza.  He said "what's Friday?"  I told him nothing, just that I was planning dinner. He said "wow, that is like predicting the weather."

So, these are the best laid plans.   Stick around and see how they turn out!

Happy Saturday!

Kel

2 comments:

  1. Well I was just thinking about tatziki this morning! All these dishes sound so good. I await pictures! (JUST DO IT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez, the first two sentences are right out of my play book! I'll try to follow your example...

    ReplyDelete