Tuesday, January 11, 2011

When Reality is Better than Your Dreams

I have a quotation from Dr. Seuss that sits framed on my desk at work.

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.

It is just after midnight here Central Time.  I am never awake this late.  I barely greeted 2011 at this hour.  It may have had something to do with a cup of coffee at 3pm.  Just sayin'.

It may also have something to do with the wheels in my head that won't stop.  I got word of a really good opportunity today, and it is something I am pursuing.  Not anything I can discuss at this point.  Just keep those positive vibes coming, would you?

I lay there thinking about all of the great things in my life, and wonder if it can get better.  I think about my friends and how lucky I am.  I hear Ben sleeping, and am so grateful that he is in my life.  Ben is the reason I was given that framed Dr. Seuss quotation in the first place.  Better than I could have dreamed.  Dreamed? Dreamt?  Which one is it Karyn?

Instead of laying there, I thought I would check in with blog world.

Today, that would be the day I am leaving, not the day entering as I sit here and type, was a rather typical day.

Well, except that it took 2 hours to get to work due to an inch of snow.  I am not kidding.  Yes, you would think Minnesotans would be able to drive in this.  They are not.

I had a few meetings, but most of the day was head down at my desk, getting some documentation complete that I have postponed way too long.  It was a productive use of desk time.

Ben and I headed to the Y after work, and it was an okay workout.  15 minutes on the track to warm up, then 40 minutes or so of leg exercises and ab work.  Enough to work up a sweat.

As planned, we had leftover chili for dinner. Best. Chili. Ever.  Cannot be emphasized enough.

There is someone else in my life making reality better than dreams for a lot of people.

My sister Kim is training with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training.  


You can read her story here.    Yes, it is a shameless request on my part to ask if you have $5.00 that needs donating that you consider donating it to a very worthy cause.  By going to her site, you will see that she is walking in memory of my Mom.  It, therefore, makes it my effort too to make sure she reaches her fundraising goal.


Kim doesn't go into a ton of detail, but I have to tell you, I did not like being an orphan at the age of 31. Renal cell cancer took my Mom's life a month shy of her 70th birthday.  I had a lot more conversations I wanted to have with her.  I wish I could show her the healthy person that I am today, the motivation she gave me to ensure that I would be around long past my own 70th birthday.  You just don't get more special than her.  I hope she is proud of me, as I am now healthy because of her.  Any donation to Kim's effort is appreciated more than I can say.


Speaking of health, trying to get a little more upbeat, I think this scale challenge is working out nicely. Part of my commitment for this year is to make sure I am accurately recording my meals, exercising with a focus on strength training and interval training rather than steady state cardio, and to accurately record that too.  In doing so, I stay healthy, if not get healthier, without me worrying what the scale says.


Yesterday, I put on a skirt that had been snug.  It zipped beautifully.


Today, I put on a pair of pants that fit well a month ago.  Now, they are just a tad loose.  


I can see the muscle definition returning in my arms, and the strength work I have been doing on my core is paying off.  It is quite possible, if not likely, that the scale is actually UP instead of down.  Here is the win.  A month ago if I saw any increase in the scale, I would be re-evaluating all of my choices and perhaps course correcting where it was not necessary.  Now, I can objectively assess where I am based on how I feel (really good) and how I look.  


I am eating when I am hungry, and have been making some really good decisions.  Those chocolate chip crack cookies from Sunday?  I had one half of one yesterday.  It was good, but that was enough.


Going to try and get some sleep now.  6am comes far too early.  


G'night!


Kel






2 comments:

  1. Goodluck to Kim!!!
    I called into work today bc a 2 hr commute just wasn't appealing (and I have some useful days off I need to use:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams."

    That, my friend, is why I am awake so early in the morning. I love my reality and want to spend lots of time awake in it! (also, it's either dreamt or dreamed, although we are in America so I would use dreamed; I'm not sure what country Minnesota favors ;)

    ReplyDelete