Saturday, January 1, 2011

What am I Thinking?

Am I crazy?

Am I referring to the fact that I am starting a new blog?

No.

Is it that I am having a second cup of coffee?

Hardly.

Is it that today is January 1, 2011 and I am making a commitment to not weigh myself for a year?

Ah, yes, that would be it.

What on Earth?  What crazy thoughts run through my mind?  How ever do I come up with these things?

Here is the deal.  I have missed blogging.  I love reading other blogs.  I know I have a place in this community somewhere.  I also, apparently, need a challenge.

This is a big one for me.  After all, aren't I all about maintaining a healthy weight?  No, I am not.  That is what I need to prove to myself.  I am so much more than a weight.

I am not stepping off my journey of healthy eating or my healthy lifestyle.  What I am doing, however, is breaking free of the number on the scale.  I love my body, really.  I can look at pictures and like what I see.  I need to get away from the thoughts that if only I weighed 147 I would look so much better.

I have a healthy lifestyle.  I limit the amount of processed food I eat.  I track my nutritional intake every day using Nutrimirror. I am back to exercising 3-4 times a week.  My theory, at least when I turn it over and over in my mind, is that I don't need a stinking number on the scale to justify being happy with the way I am.

I also have confidence in that if I eat the way I do, track my intake the way I have in the past, and continue to exercise, that I can rely on how I feel rather than on what the numbers say.

I have a great life.  I have a job that pays the bills, I have great friends, and I have a wonderful man in my life named Ben.  I have a passion for food that has in the past gotten me in trouble.  I also have a love for writing that drives me to get words out, not only on a page, but on the internet it seems.  You would think writing a weekly column  would be enough for me.  You would think working on a book would be enough.  But I have random every day thoughts that may not be appropriate for Nutrimirror.  I guess I just need to get them out.

So, on this maiden voyage of The Kel Show I am not going to go into details about what this blog is about, why I named it what I did, or anything like that.  That will be shared in due time, perhaps after I figure it out.

For now I will tell you that this is going to be hard for me.  That is enough confessing and soul sharing for our first date, don't you think?

Since you were kind enough to stop by, let me leave you with this very small, insignificant gift.  A picture of the muesli I had for breakfast.  This is really to let you know up front that I am a terrible photographer and to not expect much from my photos.  Oh, and here is the recipe.  Her pictures are much better than mine!


In case you were curious, here are the nutritional stats for the muesli.



nutrition facts

Happy New Year!  I am looking forward to a great 2011!

Love,
Kel

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Welcome back to the blog world. I really look forward to reading The Kel Show!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the blog world, Kel. I look forward to tuning in to the Kel Show, so I better pay my cable bill! This will be a hard challenge, or it would be for me. My husband and I weigh every Saturday morning on the Wii, right before breakfast. You are stronger than I so I have you will make it without your scales.

    ReplyDelete